Location: King Street – St. Catharines
Hours of Work: Guaranteed 24 hours bi-weekly plus on-call/No guaranteed hours, on-call requirement
As the largest provider of Emergency Shelter in the Niagara Region, the YWCA Niagara Region offers innovative housing programs and services that provide hope for women and their families living in poverty.
The YW provides shelter, food and assistance to homeless women and their families. Our dedicated staff provides exceptional care and support for the women and their families who turn to us. The YW offers staff a challenging and collaborative environment as they work to create meaningful change for homeless individuals.
To complement our Emergency Shelter program staffing component, the YW is looking for an exceptional team player, who is compassionate, non-judgmental, and self-motivated to round out the team.
The Part-Time Permanent Women’s Advocate will report to the Team Leads to assist in the operation of the shelters in accordance with agency policies and procedures. Which includes the following duties; maintaining appropriate record keeping, complete intake/discharge forms, maintaining security for guests/staff/facilities, goal setting and referrals to other resources, promote co-operative living, participate in housekeeping duties including occasional food preparation and cleaning.
- Provides appropriate professional understanding and intervention in response to emotional, behavioural, physical needs of clients.
- Maintains and supervises established routines and procedures.
- Assists clients to establish and achieve individualized goals
- Utilizes effective conflict resolution skills.
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality regarding client information.
- Works collaboratively with community agencies, providing referrals and follow-up as necessary.
- Participates in shift change and staff meetings as required, shares information in a respectful, non-judgemental manner.
- Exercises good judgement and discretion in dealing with confidential information.
- Completes all necessary documentation, including written records/reports and provides statistics as requested.
- Learn and understand health and safety standards, regulations, policies and procedures and comply with them.
- Minimum SSW or 2-year college diploma in a human services program.
- Experience working with the homeless and/or marginalized individuals.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in telephone and in-person counselling.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as an effective team member.
- Understanding and delivery of anti-oppressive, feminist, trauma informed frameworks.
- Ability to effectively intervene with conflict and crisis.
- Able and willing to work all shifts (ex// night, day and evening)
- CTI, Level C First Aid and Vulnerable Screening Clearance (Police Check).
Please send resume and letter of interest to:
Adriana Llanos- firstname.lastname@example.org | t: 905-988-3528
183 King St, St. Catharines ON L2R 3J5